Is it a scam or a sale?

 

Recently I have had inquiries regarding items in my Etsy Shop. I am more than happy to answer your questions and requests. Unfortunately doing business online can leave any artist in jeopardy of scams resulting in the loss of product and cash. Many times you are a qualified customer and  everything works out great. Then comes that one individual that simply steals from you and that trusting artist learns that not everyone is honest. This is a business and artists are learning first hand how to be very astute business people. Maybe you truly are a legitimate customer and want the item but the artist opts  not to finalize the business transaction because they think the transaction may be another scam. For instance, I receive an email or on Etsy a convo and the language is broken or written very poorly, my gut will start to send me red flags of caution, but I usually will press on. Or I receive a request that they want me to set up an account for them with PayPal and they will definitely be good for the money. Remember you already have an account with PayPal.

If you are a customer try to present yourself with courtesy and  professionalism for this is a business, most of the time friendly. As for the later situation it is plain common sense not to follow through with any sale under these type of circumstances. Walk away from the deal and though you may feel you lost a sale just think how you would feel if it was all just a scam. Just because someone wants to purchase from you does not mean you have to sell it if your gut says "this is not right it doesn't make any sense". Me, I allow my gut to make the final ruling and it has been pretty right so far.

To all my fellow artists and online shop entrepreneurs I wish everyone a profitable holiday season and free of scams and thieves and to all our wonderful customers may you cherish that handmade one of a kind gift. 

Popular Posts