This is beautiful painted piece of furniture ended up in a B & B. I found it on my way to the shop and knew it still had lots of magic left in it, just needed some prodding.
I cleaned the bureau and repaired the veneer then a good sanding. The mirror was removed from the frame (did not want to damage it such an unusual shape) cleaned and sanded. I applied a high quality primer to prep the surface for the three coats of oil paints. The last effect was a crackled finish with varnishes. Some line work to the edges and the bunny to the drawer front completed the look. Colored waxes were applied after everything was sealed with an oil based varnish.
I am always amazed when I am finished because I remember what the bureau had been and now it stood proud.